明白世間實相的紡織女 Pesakaradhita Vatthu

 Pesakaradhita Vatthu 



Dhammapada Verse 174

Andhabhuto ayam loko
tanuke'ttha vipassati
sakuno jalamuttova

appo saggaya gacchati.

Verse 174: Blind are the people of this world: only a few in this world see clearly (with Insight). Just as only a few birds escape from the net, so also, only a few get to the world of the devas, (and Nibbana).


The Story of the Weaver-Girl

While residing at the monastery near Aggavala shrine in the country of Alavi, the Buddha uttered Verse (174) of this book, with reference to a young maiden, who was a weaver.

At the conclusion of an alms-giving ceremony in Alavi, the Buddha gave a discourse on the impermanence of the aggregates (khandhas). The main points the Buddha stressed on that day may be expressed as follows:

"My life is impermanent; for me, death only is permanent. I must certainly die; my life ends in death. Life is not permanent; death is permanent."

The Buddha also exhorted the audience to be always mindful and to strive to perceive the true nature of the aggregate. He also said,"As one who is armed with a stick or a spear is prepared to meet an enemy (e.g. a poisonous snake), so also, one who is ever mindful of death will face death mindfully. He would then leave this world for a good destination (sugati)." Many people did not take the above exhortation seriously, but a young girl of sixteen who was a weaver clearly understood the message. After giving the discourse, the Buddha returned to the Jetavana monastery.

After a lapse of three years, when the Buddha surveyed the world, he saw the young weaver in his vision, and knew that time was ripe for the girl to attain Sotapatti Fruition. So the Buddha came to the country of Alavi to expound the dhamma for the second time. When the girl heard that the Buddha had come again with five hundred bhikkhus, she wanted to go and listen to the discourse which would be given by the Buddha. However, her father had also asked her to wind some thread spools which he needed urgently, so she promptly wound some spools and took them to her father. On the way to her father, she stopped for a moment at the outer fringe of the audience, who had come to listen to the Buddha.

Meanwhile, the Buddha knew that the young weaver would come to listen to his discourse; he also knew that the girl would die when she got to the weaving shed. Therefore, it was very important that she should listen to the Dhamma on her way to the weaving shed and not on her return. So, when the young weaver appeared on the fringe of the audience, the Buddha looked at her. When she saw him looking at her, she dropped her basket and respectfully approached the Buddha. Then, he put four questions to her and she answered all of them. The questions and answers are as given below.

Questions Answers
(1) Where have you come from? (1) I do not know.
(2) Where are you going? (2) I do not know.
(3) Don't you know? (3) Yes, I do know.
(4) Do you know? (4) I do not know, Venerable Sir.

Hearing her answers, the audience thought that the young weaver was being very disrespectful. Then, the Buddha asked her to explain what she meant by her answers, and she explained.

"Venerable Sir! Since you know that I have come from my house, I interpreted that, by your first question, you meant to ask me from what past existence I have come here. Hence my answer, 'I do not know.' The second question means, to what future existence I would be going from here; hence my answer, 'I do not know.' The third question means whether I do not know that I would die one day; hence my answer, 'yes, I do know.' The last question means whether I know when I would die; hence my answer, 'I do not know.

The Buddha was satisfied with her explanation and he said to the audience, "Most of you might not understand clearly the meaning of the answers given by the young weaver. Those who are ignorant are in darkness, they are just like the blind."

The Buddha then spoke in verse as follows:

Verse 174: Blind are the people of this world: only a few in this world see clearly (with Insight). Just as only a few birds escape from the net, so also, only a few get to the world of the devas, (and Nibbana).

At the end of the discourse, the young weaver attained Sotapatti Fruition.

Then, she continued on her way to the weaving shed. When she got there, her father was asleep on the weaver's seat. As he woke up suddenly, he accidentally pulled the shuttle, and the point of the shuttle struck the girl at her breast. She died on the spot, and her father was broken-hearted. With eyes full of tears he went to the Buddha and asked the Buddha to admit him to the Order of the bhikkhus. So, he became a bhikkhu, and not long afterwards, attained arahatship.


明白世間實相的紡織女


世間大部分的人是盲目的,只有少數的人明白正法;一如只有少數的鳥脫離羅網,少數的人往生善趣。 (偈 174 )


  有一天,佛陀在阿拉維講授生命的無常。佛陀說:「請正念現前地觀死:生命是不確定的,死亡是確定的,人總有一天要面對死亡。」

  佛陀也勸誡大眾要經常保持正念,察覺生命的實相。他也告誡大眾:「如同手持木棍或長矛的人在面對敵人和其他有毒、危險的動物時,不至於手足無措一般,對死亡有正念的人也會保持正念面對死亡,因此會往生善界。」很多人無法領會其中的涵義,但一位十六歲的紡織女清楚明白佛陀的深意。說法後,佛陀返回祇樹給孤獨園。

  有一天,佛陀透過天眼觀察世間,明白那位女孩證得初果的機緣已經成熟,就再度前往阿拉維說法。當這女孩聽到佛陀和數百位比丘再度蒞臨說法時,也想前去聽法,但他父親卻急需一些紡織用的線軸,她於是快速綁好線軸,然後出去找父親,想把這些線軸交給父親。路上,她在聽法大眾的外圍停留了一會兒。

  佛陀知道這女孩一定會來聽法。佛陀也知道,這女孩一定要在前往紡織機器之前聽聞佛法,而不是離開紡織機後才來聽法。因為她生命即將消失,而她往生何處仍不確定。所以當年輕的紡織女孩出現在聽法大眾的外圍時,佛陀仔細注視她,而當她發現佛陀注視她時,她放下籃子,恭敬的走向佛陀。佛陀就問她四個問題:

  「妳從何處來?」 「我不知道。」

  「妳要往何處去?」「我不知道。」

  「妳不知道嗎?」 「我知道。」

  「妳知道嗎?」  「我不知道。」

  大眾聽見她如此回答佛陀的問題,都認為她對佛陀不恭敬。佛陀就問她的回答是什麼涵意。

   她說:「世尊!既然你知道我從家裡來,所以我認為你第一個問題是問我的過去世是什麼,我就回答:『不知道。』第二個問題問我的來世要往生何處,我回答:『我不知道。』第三個問題問我知不知道有一天會死亡,所以我回答:『我知道。』最後的問題問我知不知道何時會死亡,我回答:『我不知道。』」佛陀聽完她的解釋後,稱讚她的解釋。她也在聽完佛陀的說法後,證得初果。

  然後,她繼續前往紡織機所在的房子,當她抵達時,她父親正坐在紡織者的座位上睡覺。這時候,她父親突然醒來,卻意外的拉動紡織梭,結果,紡織梭的頭打到女孩的胸口,以致於當場死亡,而往生兜率天。她父親這時候傷心欲絕,淚流滿面,但也明白生命無常,他就前去面見佛陀,請求允許他加入僧伽。從此以後,他成為比丘。不久之後,更證得阿羅漢果。


‧摘錄自‧《法句經‧故事集》達摩難陀法師著



Daily Reading of Buddhist Scriptures 每日讀佛經 ཉིན་རེར་དམ་ཆོས་ཀློག་པ། 20 September 2020




https://youtu.be/bWNx587VgsA




Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammāsambuddhasa

禮敬 世尊 阿羅漢 等正覺者(三稱)

南無本師釋迦牟尼佛(三稱)


Dhammapada

《法句經》

ཆོས་ཀྱི་ཚིགས་སུ་བཅད་པ་ཞེས་བྱ་བའི་མདོ་བཞུགས་སོ། །


13. Lokavagga

Chapter Thirteen   The World

第十三章  世間

བཅུ་གསུམ་པ་འཇིག་རྟེན་གྱི་ལེའུ།


174. Andhabhūto ayaṃ loko, 

tanukettha vipassati;

Sakuṇo jālamuttova, 

appo saggāya gacchati.


174. Blind is the world; here only a few possess insight. Only a few, like birds escaping from the net, go to realms of bliss.


174.世人大多視力不足,極少人有視力明白佛法;故此,只有少數人能到達天界或涅槃,像只有少數的鳥能脫離羅網一樣。


174.世人大多视力不足,极少人有视力明白佛法;故此,只有少数人能到达天界或涅槃,像只有少数的鸟能脱离罗网一样。


༡༧༤༽ འཇིག་རྟེན་འདི་ནི་མུན་པ་སྟེ། །ལྷག་མཐོང་ལྡན་པ་ཉུང་ངུ་ཙམ། །རྒྱ་ལས་ཐར་པའི་བྱ་བཞིན་དུ། །བདེ་ཆེན་ཞིང་དུ་འགྲོ་བ་ཉུང་། །


Ratana Sutta

Discourse on the Jewels

《三寶經》


1. 任何來此聚會的眾生,無論是住在地上或天空的,但願一切眾生都快樂,願他們細心聆聽我說。

2. 因此一切眾生請諦聽,應向眾人類散播慈愛,他們日夜來供養你們,故應精勤地保護他們。

3. 無論在這世間或其他世間(這是指天界、梵天界或其它世界系)的任何財寶,或在天界的任何殊勝珠寶,都沒有和如來(佛陀)同等的。在佛陀裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

4. 寧靜的釋迦牟尼已徹悟滅盡、離欲、不死與殊勝。沒有任何東西能和法同等。在法裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

5. 至上佛所讚歎的清淨被稱為無間隔的􏰈。找不到和此􏰈同等的東西。在法裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

6. 具德者讚歎的八種人組成四雙,他們這些應供者是如來的弟子。布施給他們會帶來大果報。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

7. 以穩固的心透徹地修行,在喬達摩(佛)的教法裡不再有貪欲,他們已證應證之法。進入了不死,他們輕易地享受所證悟的寧靜。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

8. 正如深置地裡的柱子不能被四風動搖,我說,已經徹見聖諦的善士也是如此。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

9. 清楚地觀照由擁有深奧智慧者善巧教導之聖諦的人,無論他們多麼放逸,也不會有第八次投生。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

10. 對於證得知見者,有三法已被他斷除,即身見、疑與如果他有的戒禁取見。他已完全解脫了四惡道,絕對不會造六種大惡。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

11. 無論他透􏰉過身或口或意所造的任何惡業,他都不會覆藏它,所謂見道者絕不會這麼做。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。 以此真實語願得安樂。

12. 佛陀所教、導向涅槃、帶來最高等利益的至上法,就像夏天第一個月的樹林盛開著花。在佛陀裡有此殊勝寶。 以此真實語願得安樂。

13. 至上者、知至上者、給予至上者、帶來至上者教導無比至上法。在佛陀裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

14. 舊的已滅,新的不再生起,他們的心不執著未來生,有的種子已滅,他們不再生起對生命的慾望。那些智者像燈(滅那樣)熄滅。在僧團裡有此殊勝寶。以此真實語願得安樂。

15. 任何來此聚會的眾生,無論是住在地上或天空的,禮敬 人天尊敬的如來佛,願得安樂。

16. 任何來此聚會的眾生,無論是住在地上或天空的,禮敬 人天尊敬的如來法,願得安樂。

17. 任何來此聚會的眾生,無論是住在地上或天空的,禮敬 人天尊敬的如來僧,願得安樂。


It is a free gift.

此是免費贈送的法寶。




留言

此網誌的熱門文章

尊敬值得尊敬的人 Sariputtatthera Vatthu

觀念錯誤的裸形外道 Nigantha Vatthu

妻子出家為比丘尼 Dhammadinna Theri Vatthu